I use this module to convert documents from utf8 to a user defined encoding.
Installation: I could not find it on YAST, so I used 'make' and so on. It is clearly a big module, because it generated a lot of files, but it worked flawlessly.
Usage: simple and straightforward. With 3 lines of code I had all I needed:
my @list = Encode->encodings(':all');
Encode::from_to($string, 'utf8', $selected_encoding);
The @list contains all available encodings which I feed into a selection list. The from_to function does the transformation. I checked it with German, Czech, Cyrillic and Hebrew characters and it all worked fine.