I always seem to have install problems on OSX, but I think that is the nature of the beast. Overall, this package is fantastic :)
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Awkward interface, O(n^2) performance where you don't expect it... Try to roll your own before using this module.
4 out of 9 found this review helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Good news: bioperl is fairly complete and correct, as far as I can tell.
Bad news: it's absolute agony to use, making easy things hard, and hard things slow. A few points:
* The interface is a twisty little maze of objects, all alike.
* Many methods are unnecessarily slow.
* Some formats (e.g. BLAST) are incompletely supported.
* The documentation "follows standards", which means that many of the less-used bits are documented with a pile of uninformative but mandatory boilerplate.
* For simple tasks, it's usually easier to roll your own than to wade through the docs.
Other modules are a better bet if they meet your needs -- see e.g. Chemistry::* and Boulder::* .
6 out of 6 found this review helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
*The* bundle if you have something to do with bioinformatics. Only thing i feel pitty is that most functionality would have been better a standalone module. Because not everything BIO only in there.
2 out of 4 found this review helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
2 hidden unhelpful reviews