| Module Info
| Add a review of Chart
This package is easy to learn and is handy for making simple (or not-so-simple) charts and graphs of arbitrary datasets with just a little bit of coding. It uses GD as a backend, so it gets a lot of choices for output image format for free. It has convenience methods for PNG and JPEG output -- for others, you request a GD::Image instance and do it yourself. That option also allows you to do arbitrary additional scribbling on the image as you like, which can be handy.
My small complaints are:
* The complete docs are in PDF format. Only a summary is in POD. However, this makes some sense because it isn't feasible to embed images in POD.
* Doesn't support GD's stringFT routines for working with the FreeType library to use arbitrary TrueType fonts (I have a private patch to rectify this if anyone is interested)
* Spews version number warnings on startup
* The behavior of some of the axis options (like include_zero) are highly non-intuitive
* The scalar_png method is broken, so you have to write to a file and then read back to send out the web if you can't send straight to a filehandle.
* The source code has a lot of copy-paste redundancy and could use a thorough refactoring pass, IMHO.
This is great for knocking out little charts quickly.
Very good tool for creating charts (including imagemaps).
Good stuff, but the setting of dataset colors doesen't work (at least for StackedBars)
Great - but please can we have the documentation in standard POD format so that it can be read from perldoc and on CPAN.org?